National Achievements :
|Period||Name||Activities & Achievements|
|1975-1976||Shri K Rajagopal||Advise to farmers and field development work|
|1977-1978||Shri M B S Henry||Advise to farmers and field development work|
|1979-1980||Shri G Varadaraj||Advise to farmers and field development work|
|1981-1985||Shri V Vidyasagar||
Construction of factory buildings / quarters commenced.
|1985-1989||Shri R Ethirajulu||Completion of construction of factory buildings / quarters, Installation Ginning machines|
|1989-1996||Shri V Ravichandran||
Installation of Seed Grading Machine
Restoration of Suvin project commenced
|1996-2002||Shri V Jayaraman||
Installed Pipelines in farm, Construction of Vinayagar
Commenced SHB-3, SCHH-1 (GKS) Projects
|2002-2007||Shri J Thulasidharan||
Installation of Delinting Unit, Needle Sorter machine,
Chemical treatment machine, agriculture implements
Commenced SIMA Super MCU 5 project
|2007-2010||Shri P D Damodaran||
Commenced own Kapas procurement
Developed SCHH -1, SCHH-2.Released SCHH-1 in the name of GKS
|2010-2012||Shri V Selvapathy||Installation of Baling Unit
Developed SHB 3
|2012-2014||Shri T Rajkumar||
Initiated the project to mechanise kapas plucking
Commenced M 55 and Shakthi Bt Projects.
Mooted co-marketing of Bt hybrid seed with M/s Kaveri Seeds.
After his period he initiated the process of distributing SIMA Kapas Plucker in Tamil Nadu with Subsidy
|2014-2016||Shri K Narayanasaami||
Installation of escalator for seed processing, Initiated SIMA
Kapas Plucker Project
Renovationof Suvin achieved
Commenced development 14 varieties
|2016-2018||Shri B Lakshminarayana||
Initiated the process to distribute SIMA Kapas Plucker
machines through CCI, Got the machine tested and certified;
Uganda Project, Participation in ITME-Africa 2020
Released Shakthi Bt
|2018-2020||Shri R Elango||Bulk marketing of SIMA seeds and SIMA Kapas Pluckers, Received approval for release of 14 varieties and one hybrid for distribution in Tamil Nadu, SBSG 1-5 (SIMA Platimum) in Central Zone.|
|2020-22||Shri R Ravichandran||Renovation factory building and staff quarters. Installation of Seed Packing Machine. Formation of "Special Cotton Mission" by Government of Tamil Nadu to increase ELS cotton production in the State|
- Shakthi Bt
- SBSG 1-5 (SIMA Platinum)
|Item||unit||Suvin||Giza 70||Pima||SBSG 1-5|
|Spinning. Potential||Ne||100s-120s||Above 100s||80s-100s||120s-140s|
- The Director of Seed Certification and Organic Certification, Coimbatore had approved for distribution of seeds (4 medium staple, 5 long staple, 5 extra long staple varieties and one extra long staple hybrid) of varieties / hybrids Developed by the Association on March 8, 2019. Fibre properties of the varieties / Hybrid are given below:
|S.No||Name of Variety/Hybrid||Plant height (cm)||Duration (Days)||Mean Yield of seed cotton -Kg/Ha||Ginning %||Staple Length (mm)||Strength (g/tex)||Mic||Suitable for|
|1||SIMA HITECH-1||110-120||160||2779||36||27.5-28.0||22.0-23.5||3.5-3.8||Summer & Winter|
|2||SIMA-Compact-32||50-65||145||2707||40||27.2||22.2||3.8||Summer & Winter|
|4||SIMA-113||105-110||160||2380||36||28.2||23||4||Summer & Winter|
|6||SIMA-102||85-95||155||3732||36-37||28-29||22.5||3.78||Summer & Winter|
|7||SIMA-M-55||110||160||2809||34-36||30.2||24.4||3.8||Summer & Winter|
|8||SIMA-J-23||90-100||155||2990||36||30.2||23||3.6||Summer & Winter|
|9||SIMA-374||100||155||3622||37||32||23.5||3.6||Summer & Winter|
|Extra Long Staple|
|10||SIMA-Sivashakthi||90-100||150||2620||36-37||33.5-34.5||23.5-24.0||3.5-3.9||Summer & Winter|
|11||SIMA-LI-3||90||155||2134||38-40||32.63||23.8||3.5||Summer & Winter|
|12||SIMA-5||115||165||2420||33||34.8||24.5||3.7||Summer & Winter|
|14||SIMA Mahashakthi||100-105||155||2964||35-36||33.5-34.5||24.6||4.2||Summer & Winter|
|15||SIMA HB-3 (Hybrid)||120||170||2580||32||35.0-37.0||27.2||3.1||Winter|
- On our Initiatives the Government of Tamil Nadu had formed a "Special Cotton Mission in Tamil Nadu" to promote area expansion under Extra Long Staple Cotton and constituted a Three Member Committee with SIMA CD & RA Secretary cum Chief Cotton Breeder Dr M Asha Rani as one of the member to chart down the modalities.
Involvement of Scientists
The Association has been utilising the services and guidance of a galaxy of scientists from CICR, TNAU, etc. Names of a few of them are as follows:
Dr V Santhanam, Dr M S Swaminathan, Dr A K Basu, Dr S S Narayanan, Dr R Thuljaram Rao, Dr K Venugopal, Dr R Krishnaswami, Dr K V Srinivasan, Shri A Subramaniam, Dr K Natarajan, Dr T Surulivelu, Dr M V Venugopalan, Dr V T Sundaramurthy, Dr V Selvaraj, Dr Karthikeyan, Dr S Venkatakrishnan, Dr Mayilsamy
The Association has also engaged the following scientists on a full-time basis to monitor and to lead the R & D and the seed multiplication work for distribution to the farmers.
Dr M Marappan, Dr Aaron, Dr A Narayanan, Dr Kalidurai, Dr Koodalingam, Prof Dr T V Karivaradaraju, etc
Scientists contributed as members of technical /Advisory committees. Individual contributions are difficult to quantify as their suggestion are grouped and implemented.
Dr V Santhanam’s contribution was immense (for more than three decades). His advice has helped us to design our breeding programmes in evolving new varieties / hybrids.
Dr M Marappan, as a full time employee of the Association was involved in the development of LRA 5166, SIMA-1, SCHH-1 (GKS), SCHH-2, etc till 1995. After his retirement Dr A Narayanan continued the work as full-time employee of the Association till 2003. Afterwards Dr V Karivaratharaju had initiated seed pelleting work and got grants for agriculture machinery 2008.
Dr M Asha Rani, since 1995 worked under the guidance of Dr V Santhanam, Dr M Marappan, Dr A Narayanan, Dr V Karivaratharaju till 2003 and afterwards she worked with Mr V Muthusamy and under the guidance of Dr V Santhanam and implementing the suggestions given by the technical / advisory committee of the Association from time to time till date.
The Association places on record the valuable services of the scientists who have yielded great results to the Farming Community and the Textile Industry.
MoU with CDO & NARO of Uganda
- Entered into a MoU with Cotton Development Organisation (CDO) and National Agricultural Organisation (NARO) of Uganda for germplasm exchange and develop new varieties giving higher yield and improved fibre properties Also to disseminate production technology and practices for adoption by the cotton farmers in Uganda.
- Germplasm exchange - Received three varieties having higher gin out percentages (BPA 95, BPA 2015 A and BPA 2015 B). The three varieties were sown at our Ponneri farm during December 10, 2020 and the grown was subjected to PEQ inspection during adaptation trials on March 29, 2021. Further seed multiplication process is going on. We have supplied four of our own varieties (SHS-102, SIMA-5, M 55 and MCH 84) to CDO for adaptation and multiplication trials in Uganda.
- Supplied 20 SIMA Kapas Pluckers, demonstrated and imparted training on the fields in Uganda.
- Virtual Training Programme on “Cotton Development Initiate in Uganda” conducted.
Participation in Expos
- Regularly participate in the "Texfair" Expos organised by SIMA.
- Participated in "ITME-Africa 2020" jointly organised by India ITME Socity, the Ethiopian Chamber of Commerce and Sectoral Association (ECCSA), largest Technology and Engineering Event in the African Continent during February 14-16, 2019 at Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
|Promotion of Organic Cotton through TNSRLM Meeting organised by Tamilnadu Corporation For Development of Women Ltd.,(a GoTN undetaking) on May 13, 2022|
|Hon’ble Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu Mr M KStalin released the ELS variety “SIMA Platinum (SBSG 1-5) during “Tamil Nadu – Investors’ First Port of Call Investment Conclave – Nov 2021” at Codissia Trade Fair Complex, Coimbatore on November 23, 2021|
|Certificate of Appreciation was conferred on Dr M Asha Rani, Chief Cotton Breeder, SIMA CDRA for the active participation and support of, in training of farmers for best farm practices and operating hand-held kapas plucker machines under CSR activities of the Cotton Corporation of India (CCI) as well as for distribution of good quality two lakh kilogram ELS cotton seeds to farmers through Government of Tamil Nadu. on November 24, 2021|
SIMA HB-3, Shakthi Bt, Sivashakthi Bt trials in the states of Rajashtan, Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra by CITI CD & RA.
Dr M Asha Rani, Secretary cum Chief Cotton Breeder and Mr K Madhubabu, Scientific Assistant along with CITI CD & RA Chairman Mr P D Patodia, office-bearers & Officials, Mr Suresh Kotak visited trial farms in Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan during November 13-14, 2018 and held discussions with cotton farmers.
|Visit of Shri Santhosh Kumar Gangwar, Hon’ble Union Textile Minister for Interaction Meeting at SIMA on 22nd January, 2016|
|Release of SIMA GKD-1 Cotton Seed by Dr Kavuru Sambasiva Rao, Hon'ble Minister for Textiles on 18th January 2014|